Before this all started, I wrote,
Group C sees England joined by USA, Algeria and Slovenia. England's approach will be key here. They should qualify relatively easily but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating - or should that be the proof of the pizza...? I'll get me coat.
I reckon that I was right. England's approach was key. I think that we went off like a train against the USA, got the early goal, then were pegged back due to a poor error by Robert Green then huffed and puffed to find a winner before settling for a point. Then we underestimated Algeria and gave the worst performance of Capello's tenure and were rightly and roundly booed from the pitch at the end. So to the last game versus Slovenia and some modicum of normal service was resumed. USA deservedly tops the group - just to think, they were on their way home at half time in their game versus Slovenia...
- England 1-0 Slovenia England expected…
- USA 1-0 Algeria USA proves that they’re not here to make up the numbers…
- Algeria 0-0 England All the cliches could and should come out after this dog’s breakfast of a match. It was truly diabolical. Algeria are excused from any criticism. For all of those newspaper editors, sub-editor, headline writers, journalists etc who came out with all of the usual ‘England Expects’ bollox last week before the tournament started should hang their ...
- Slovenia 2-1 USA I knew that if we gave it time this World Cup would come alive. This was a very interesting game between the countries with the lowest population and the highest. I was running around collecting the children from school etc whilst this was on so I had the company of Radio Five Live. Only one ...
- Adidas dismisses England complaints about new ball I’m inclined to agree with adidas. All the conspiracy theories about ‘dem jeermans’ having the ball to play with since February is such a load of old bollox as to be truly laughable. Fact is it’s that old conflict between cost and value again. The Premier League has a deal with Nike to use their ...
- Beckenbauer: England have regressed under Capello One supposes that when a man like Herr Beckenbauer speaks (or his ‘ghost’ writes) you should listen. I think that he’s a man with a genuine affection for England – remember the Germans are not in anyway as rabidly anti-English as we are anti-German. Truth is, the FA’s Blueprint from all those years ago, handed ...
- Algeria 0-1 Slovenia Quite how this dismal game was decided is beyond me. The best bit was Pet Nevin on Radio 5 Live – I watched the pictures with the R5L commentary. Anyway, after a largely turgid first half, of which the best bit was Nadir Belhadj’s free kick on 3 minutes. The Algerian ‘keeper Faouzi Chaouchi ...
- England 1-1 USA Group C
|Topps Match Attax England 2010 World Cup plus Legends Set +++++|
Time Remaining: 35m
Buy It Now for only: £32.00
|ENGLAND WORLD CUP 2010 SOUTH AFRICA FOOTBALL T SHIRT MEDIUM NEW|
Time Remaining: 1h 11m
|MENS ENGLAND HOME SHIRT~WORLD CUP 2010 SOUTH AFRICA~ SIZE 54|
Time Remaining: 1h 28m
|England 2010 south Africa world cup top size 46in|
Time Remaining: 1h 49m
|FULL SET OF ALL 25 STAR PLAYERS TRADING CARDS MATCH ATTAX ENGLAND 2010 WORLD CUP|
Time Remaining: 2h 28m
Buy It Now for only: £3.75
|World Cup 2010 England v Costa Rica used match ticket Belo Horizonte|
Time Remaining: 4h 18m
Buy It Now for only: £8.00
|Match Attax Attack World Cup 2010 Glen Johnson Limited Edition England.MINT|
Time Remaining: 13h 3m
|VERY RARE.Match Attax World Cup 2010 Gareth Barry Limited Edition England.MINT|
Time Remaining: 13h 3m
|England 2010 World Twenty20 (T20) Cricket World Cup winners - souvenir print|
Time Remaining: 13h 56m
Buy It Now for only: £5.99
|England 2010 World Twenty20 (T20) Cricket World Cup winners - framed print|
Time Remaining: 13h 58m
Buy It Now for only: £13.99
|official fifa world cup 2010 ticket application 12 page brochure inc england|
Time Remaining: 14h 2m
Buy It Now for only: £1.49
|England 2010 World cup replica Football shirt size 42|
Time Remaining: 15h 22m